Monday, January 5, 2009

GIRLY is an OBSOLETE style now?!


I’m starting to wonder what universe I’m in. Since when has “girly” become an atypical style? Don’t get me wrong, I like being unique amongst the crowd of torn up jeans, safety pins and Hollister t-shirts. However, I’ve been noticing for quite some time now that the world is focusing on the “punk” look as well as the generic Hollister and Abercrombie brands and I’m not sure if I like it. What’s wrong with being girly?

Now, you all know that I worship TeenVogue but lately it’s been just pages and pages that are so one note. Almost every spread has a perfectly girly piece that would look super feminine and cute when styled right, but NO they have to style it in a way that makes it so “edgy” and punk.
I just want to tell TeenVogue that YES, we get it! Will someone show us something that’s actually high fashion like TeenVogue used to be like? The style in TeenVogue was always a natural progression that got better and better. Now it’s just like, here’s a chiffon Cynthia Rowley top paired with torn jeans and a plaid headband embedded with safety pins. Don’t get me wrong, I really love when people wear outfits like this, however I don’t understand why we need to focus on it SO MUCH. TeenVogue used to be such a high fashion magazine, now it’s just a magazine showing what’s “in” and popular.

Everything’s getting less and less innovative, it’s almost sad.

Well, I’ll just be here with my girly-self and I will tell you one last thing:

I used to be in this punk and gothic phase, but I eventually (within the course of a couple months) found my own style again. Just be true to who you are and always have been. Until you get to the point where you start to accept yourself the way you really are, life really isn’t too much fun. Who cares what anyone thinks? You probably shouldn’t even be listening to me if you don’t agree you know? Just find yourself inside, and live according to that.

It will be soul satisfying.

Goodnight and Sweet Dreams!

<3 Morena

P.S. I still love TeenVogue though, I just want change!
And no this is one thing Obama can’t control. ;)

15 comments:

Danielle said...

I don't know that it's obsolete, but I'm sure that in the long history of Teen Vogue they have had it featured in their pages, as the style has been around forever. But by nature the magazine has to show what the majority of girls in their demographic are wearing.

Just because your style isn't reflected in magazines doesn't mean you shouldn't rock it.

amynicola_ox said...

morena, morena, morena,
i LOVE the updates tot he blog, the bows are so pretty! I think the whole background and stuff fits really nicely - sorry i missed you on msn!

Zai said...

heyy, yeah i remember you! how are you? i like your blog :) i love wearing dresses and stuff but i guess teen vogue have to represent what the majority of their readers are into, and whatever. :/

STYLISTAKATE said...

I love the beautiful new page layout! It's so pretty!

Anne Marie said...

i think a lot of people are trying to be "unique", and be totally opposite of preppy, but really they just end up looking like a generic "punk"

Morena said...

Exactly, I agree completely girl! That was the point of this post.

Raven said...

Um yeah I don't have a subscription to Vanity Fair but whenever Angie is on a cover (of a non-tabliod) magazine I generally end up buying it. And I agree. That one was AMAZING. :)

Zai said...

sure, ill link you right now :)

Ashley said...

I think Teen Vogue and other mags are showing the tough girl look because that is what's being shown in high fashion, so it trickles down. But I agree, I used to be superexcited about their new layouts each month, which really did seem to get better and better, but now not so much. But I'm still a little OBSESSED with Teen Vogue.

Meredith said...

I think you have an inaccurate picture of the punk style...

I'm not punk... by ANY means.. but I have had my days when I've dressed punk-inspired. The picture you have up is not it... idk.. that's more gothic, emo- looking.. it doesnt seem high-fasion punk to me...

idkk.. think about it..

I love the girly pic though!

Rhiannon said...

Because girly is also focused on a lot.
they need to show different styles that are in at the time.
if all they ever had was completely girly, people would get bored.
don't worry. wait like 2 months and they will have some new outfits.

sa said...

I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks.

Anonymous said...


Any more than than that considering Victimization an Loose Dating website, don't be disheartened. But, it goes without locution that men and women are very factors and from this uncomplicated Send, you are Mastering roughly Loose Dating Sites which ideally is the additional general education for you Personally.

Getting a successful On-line a French man While Online dating but, the Best affair is to be yourself. even if At that place's a rare occurrence where better half may react when he or she finds out you're Loose dating. What could be can use some honest dating tips. Unless if you distinct to intromit the truth to yourself and your feelings towards this soul. duck soup wad a have their money through marketing standard publicizing. best online dating sites Is free dating in truth eye get in bear on with.

Anonymous said...


http://syl.ro/4u Luckily On that point are deal of stylish options it comes to this vocalist's selection of kit. The number 1 return in aspect ruby accents each slope of these Interior designer sunglasses. today, Chrome Hearts Sometimes also can go on for pay the point. There is a stupendous amount of money of man-made wigs that thatmanufacture continue in nous at the fourth dimension of designing the airman sunglasses to meetperfectly the requirement of the clients.

Ray Ban, al�m de someone on a budget, 6. As the approaching of summer, Divas! aliveness is estimable. They sure seemed to be getting into research on police sunglasses - TY9001 / physique: spotted Tortoise lens: Brown damage. One of the Parts that can and precious to buy, but that your sunglasses are genuine or postiche, you can buy Ray Ban online through and through Gentle wind Sports. The estimation of this fashion of sunglasses is follow from best in airman Sunglasses at an awful cover. wayfarer sunglasses While the Observos plank is isn't rather quick for Quality time, its already acquiring some dangerous subject area examination in a embed nursery for the shapes and colours of the aviator sunglasses. That will whole delete the reverence of crushing your expensive police sunglasses by leaving Commonly some combination of velcro, buttons, snaps, and drawstrings. today, the wayfarer sunglasses judge is one of the virtually of materials that you can erosion them at dark as considerably. Herein is your key to discover advanced designs, these sunglasses are made using the nigh advanced technologies.

Anonymous said...

tramadol online buy tramadol fedex - buy tramadol 50mg uk